WHISTLING BIRD OCEANSIDE COTTAGES
ANSWERS TO POPULAR QUESTIONS /TRAVEL TIPS
Important things to consider, and tips for a fun and relaxing Holiday in Negril.
whistling bird is genuine jamaica. come live as we live !!
WHISTLING BIRD IS LOCATED ON THE BEACH ON NORMAN MANLEY BOULEVARD NEAR THE CENTER OF WORLD FAMOUS '7-MILE BEACH' IN NEGRIL, WESTMORELAND PARISH, JAMAICA
COVID-19 IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND UPDATES
Travel Authorization is now required to enter Jamaica (Original update June 19, 2020)
- Travel Authorization is obtained at www.visitjamaica.com
- Covid-19 test is required with negative results (Antigen or PCR, rapid tests OK, home test not acceptable)
Covid-19 test required to re-enter the United States (original update January 13, 2021)
- Covid-19 test is required to board flights to USA effective January 26, 2021
Latest curfew information for Westmoreland and the Country (latest update May 5, 2021)
- Prime Minister Andrew Holness announced on February 9 the entire country will have curfew and movement restrictions put in place, and these will be reviewed every 2 to 3 weeks and updated
- The May 4 update revised the curfew hours with Weekday curfew of 8 pm to 5 am and Weekend curfews on Saturday of 6 pm to 5 am, and Sunday of 2 pm to 5 am. Labour Day (Monday May 24) will be an all-day curfew, which means no movement on the streets allowed. These curfews will be in place until June 2, 2021
- Anticipate that shoppes will close approximately 1 hour before the curfew hours. Movement on the beach is not as restricted, but will be impacted because staff will need to travel to their homes, so not all services available, and hours of operation will be abbreviated.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO HELP YOU NAVIGATE THE COVID-19 TESTS AND TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION REQUIREMENTS
Updated May 5, 2021
When planning your trip, keep in mind these timelines and details:
- the Covid-19 test must be taken within 3 days of your travel date to Jamaica. Familiarize yourself with the test results, the results must state Antigen or PCR and PRINT OUT THE RESULTS and carry with you.
- the Travel Authorization must be obtained within 5 days of your travel date to Jamaica. PRINT OUT THE DOCUMENT and carry with you to present at airport and Jamaican Immigration, it has your name, passport number, the authorization code and a unique scan bar code in the upper right hand corner. This document can be easily recognized as it has a bright yellow and blue band at the top of the page,
- Whistling Bird is not on the "All-Inclusive" drop-down list because cottages may be reserved without any Food & Beverage packages, as such it is a PRIVATE RESIDENCE and must be indicated as such. The address to use to complete the Form is: 3423 Norman Manley Blvd, Westmoreland parish, town of Negril and local phone number is 876-357-9296
- If your visit is less than 15 days, you will receive a "Quarantine Order Form B" while completing the Travel Authorization request. You must electronically sign this with your mouse to be valid. PRINT OUT THIS FORM and carry with you. It is standard for this Quarantine Order to require you to stay in place, but it is understood at a private residence you will need to secure food and supplies, hence our designation.
- The above 3 documents may be presented at the airport and to the Jamaican authorities electronically on your phone, but you will save time and your boarding and landing will be expedited if you PRINT and carry with you.
- The authorization to travel will be sent to you during or shortly after completing the forms on the visitjamaica.com site. Often the Customs form will be completed at this time as well, have your flight number handy when you start the process as it will be required.
REQUIREMENTS FOR COVID-19 TEST FOR ENTRY TO THE UNITED STATES
Updated January 29, 2021
The United States CDC is now requiring a Negative Covid-19 test to be provided to board aircraft with the USA as final destination. Specifically keep in mind:
- The test must be completed with negative results within 3 days of arrival in the USA
- Whistling Bird has made arrangements for guests with 2 testing providers within walking distance of the property. Depending on the particulars of your visit, either the property will pay for the test, or guests will be charged the nominal fee of $50usd per test, with results in 15 to 45 minutes
- There are exceptions to this USA testing requirement including recent recovery from Covid-19 illness documented and with a health care providers letter of certification, alternatively, travelers having received the Covid-19 vaccine and documentation of that. However, to board the USA-bound aircraft, ultimate acceptance of these alternative forms rest in the hands of Jamaican gate agents, and it is often the case they do not keep up on such information from the CDC.
- If your test to return to the United States generates a positive or false positive result, Whistling Bird will assist with extending your stay at no-cost or reduced-cost, until the quarantine period has expired or a negative result obtained. This situation will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
- Covid test results must be shown to your airline gate agent and you will be given a 1-page test acknowledgment form to sign. This will be part of your boarding documents and will be collected no later than when you board the aircraft. No other action on your part is required, and you will not need to present your test results upon entering the United States.
HAndy travel tips and reminders
No matter where in the world you’re traveling, it’s important to stay safe and healthy. Here are some tips to make your Jamaican vacation safe, and fun.
- Make sure you travel with a valid passport (or visa if required). Also, bring another valid form of photo I.D., and photocopies of both I.D.s. in case of loss
- Give friends and family your contact information and itineraries in case of emergency
- Be sure to bring your necessary medications like prescriptions for anyone in your travel group. Locally you can find general first aid, etc.
- Always check with your airline for updates on departure and arrival times
- Plan to use sunscreen...the Jamaican sun can be intense
- Plan to use mosquito repellent, in the tropics these pests are very active mornings and evenings!
- Keep possessions safe at the resort, we have personal safes in all cottages
- Negril and most of Jamaica will accept both United States currency or the Jamaican dollar (the country's currency). We would not recommend doing cash exchanges at unfamiliar locations or the airport because the exchange rate will not necessarily be in your favor. Most US banks can provide you with Jamaican currency and there are numerous ATM machines, but again, US currency is readily accepted
- Don’t carry around large amounts of cash and avoid bringing expensive items with you
Remember we have 24 hour security on property but wherever you travel in the USA or abroad, be vigilant and be aware of your belongings and surroundings
RESERVATION REQUIREMENTS AND CONFIRMATION.
If you have been provided access to this page, you have considered booking or recently booked a visit to Whistling Bird. VERY IMPORTANT: your reservation is not guaranteed unless you have received a confirmation email, so please make certain this important step is completed! Keep in mind, if you have not made a deposit or made an alternative payment arrangement, you do not have a confirmed reservation! Please confirm to us via email, and provide the details needed to complete your reservation and electronic registration, including your complete name, phone number, email, mailing address, flight information and expected arrival time. Cancellations must be made via email, but for everyone's piece of mind, phone calls are recommended as well! We will gladly answer questions on the phone, but email is the best method for communication as it is available 24 hours . We want you to enjoy every minute your visit, and all of the 'paperwork' can be completed ahead of your arrival! If we are assisting with Ground transportation, it is imperative you provide flight details, arrival time, and notify us of any delays. If we send a driver for you and you choose another form of transport without advising us well in advance, we will need to collect that drivers fare from you!! Make certain the driver at the airport has been sent by Whistling Bird, and that you have not just been directed to the next available driver.
GETTING TO AND FROM the airport AND TRAVELING AROUND JAMAICA.
- Paperwork to complete on the plane -- you will be required to complete a form for Customs, and the destination portion of the form should be completed to read: Whistling Bird Resort, 3423 Norman Manley Boulevard, Negril, Westmoreland Parish, 876-357-9296
- You will meet an Immigration Officer who will stamp your passport once you are approved for for entry into Jamaica. It is helpful if you have your trip itinerary which will show your anticipated date of departure.
- You will then collect any checked luggage. Although convincing, the 'Cambios' or money exchanges take about 20% of the exchange rate, and you will lose money. It is NOT recommended to exchange money at the airport since ATM machines are nearby in Negril, and USD is readily accepted.
- Proceed to Customs, and go to the last lanes "Nothing to Declare" and turn in your Customs form. The officer may ask about your visit, answer honestly, and generally, you have nothing to declare.
- The room following Customs offers Rental cars, hotel accommodations and taxi or shuttle rides. If you have arranged transport with a private driver through Whistling Bird, advise them you have a driver waiting and exit the terminal through the double doors. This area is where drivers will have signs for the various hotels and resorts, look for your name and/or Whistling Bird, to the right there is the 'Groovy Grouper' bar and a little patty stand if you need to gather yourself while you connect with your driver.
- OVERVIEW Sangster International Airport -- MBJ
Located in Montego Bay, most tourists land here. It's the better port of entrance if traveling to Negril. Taxis, hotel shuttles and car rental companies are available to help you get to Whistling Bird. For more information, you may contact them directly, however, we recommend a private JUTA driver to get you from the airport directly to Whistling Bird, and for getting around Negril. They are glad to stop along the way for you to get a cold beer, water or a photo opportunity. You can also discuss recommended tours and excursions and your driver can quote prices and make recommendations for you. Local transportation or airport shuttle is not included with your visit. The average trip between airport and Negril is $100 US or less for 1 or 2 passengers and luggage with a private driver, and takes about one hour 20 minutes time. The drivers are independent operators and you should plan on paying them directly. This information is only a guideline.
SPECIAL OPPORTUNITIES AND VACATION PACKAGES
Whistling Bird has direct booking from our website, and reservations can be made over the phone, year-round. We also have several partners including Expedia.com, AIRBNB, Hotels.com, GROUPON, Trivago and TripAdvisor Instant Booking. If you take advantage of one of these excellent opportunities, or direct book and select travel dates for the low or "off season" times, there will be less traffic, fewer crowds and lower air fares in addition to exceptional savings at Whistling Bird. You will still enjoy Jamaica's beauty, outstanding beaches, sun, and the wonderful people it is known for! There is a seasonal absence of some food items, and some celebrations and adventures are not available year-round. If you have a particular adventure you wish to attend, check with us or the venue to be certain it is available during your planned visit. If you choose to include food and beverage, please remember we do not collect gratuities or add in any additional service fees. Depending on the time of your visit and the cottage configuration, there may be a mandatory 'energy fee' added to and on top of your reservation, no matter the source of your booking. Lastly, it is always most welcomed if you should show your appreciation directly to the staff members that take care of you! We do not add in the customary "10% Service Fee" and alternatively can suggest appropriate compensation to Staff.
A QUICK WORD ABOUT WHISTLING BIRD
Whistling Bird is a family created and owned property for over 35 years that was intentionally designed to be "Genuine Jamaica" and not a 'big box' hotel property. The pace is laid back, friendly and more like staying with a Jamaican family than at a hotel in Jamaica. There are only a handful of cottages on the property, all with slight design variations. A rendering of a typical floor plan of the single room and 3 room cottage is available on our website through the conversation bubble at the bottom left of the first page under "check availability".
Each day the Chef will prepare a complete breakfast, generally around the 8:00 hour, and for dinner the Chef provides service starting at approximately 5:30 p.m. Traditional Jamaican dishes are our specialty, the selections change daily as out food is prepared using fresh ingredients, hence, every item on our printed menu may not be available every day! Please see our food and beverage page for additional information.
The setting is beachfront the dining, Chefs Counter and bars are all open-air, with uniquely designed individual cottages among lots of tropical foliage. There are lots of birds (the cottages each are named after different native birds!), beach crabs, little friendly lizards, tiny tree frogs and other fauna you would expect to find in such a setting. A stay at Whistling Bird and you will experience the Genuine Jamaica!